The sad reality is that the food we consume is becoming less and less natural. Our grocery stores are stocked with processed foods. These foods are filled with preservatives and additives that we don’t necessarily take the time to check for. The next culprits are yummy burgers and fries at our fast food outlets. These have been a huge contributing factor to the increase of obesity, heart disease, diabetes and other metabolic diseases over the last few years.
We’re here to help you avoid being part of these statistics! Improve your diet by simply adding more Fruit and Veg to your daily intake. These are the benefits:
- Great Sources of Vitamins and Minerals. They are filled with vitamins A, C and E, as well as magnesium, zinc, phosphorous and folic acid. One of the most important minerals for your health is potassium and can be found in avocados, sweet potatoes, bananas, prunes and even tomato paste puree.
- Variety of Flavours and Textures. Add some fun to your life by getting creative in the kitchen! Try pairing various fruits or vegetables together to experiment with taste and presentation. You may try strong flavours like onions, olives and peppers, or milder options such as mushrooms and corn. For sweet flavours, fruits like pineapple, grapes or plums are great, while lemons and grapefruits are more sour.
- High in Fibre. Most fruits and vegetables have plenty of fibre that will boost your gut health. This is vital to ensure your immune system is at its strongest to fight off any infections. Fibre-rich vegetables include, green peas, broccoli and cauliflower. High-fibre fruits include raspberries, apples and pears.
- Protection against Cancer and other Diseases. Fruit and Veg contain phytochemicals – biologically active substances that can help protect against diseases. By adding them to your diet, this can lower your risk of type 2 diabetes, stroke, heart disease, high blood pressure and cancer. Vegetables such as broccoli, and cabbage have been linked to reducing cancer risks.
- Quick and Easy. Many fruits can easily be grabbed as an on-the-go snack when you’re heading out the door. Make sure to thoroughly rinse before consuming them. Vegetables, on the other hand, can be prepared in a fraction of the time the average meal takes to prepare. Convenience is key!
Although it may take a little creativity, effort and an open mind to try new things – switching to a diet with more Fruit and Veg is definitely worth it! Remember, there’s a Fruit and Veg out there for everyone to enjoy. Why wait when you can stop by your nearest grocery store and some few Fruit and Veg for the week?! Your body will thank you.